Anyways some of you may remember what the room looked like originally.


If you look closely in the first picture you may notice the original colors of the room, a light blue below the picture rail and a green above it. I'm pretty sure these are the original colors because the paint is in the skim coat of plaster and not painted on. We decided to try to match these colors. For numerous reasons we've decided to paint all the trim upstairs instead of refinishing it. One being that we dont have time to sand every bit of trim. We really need to hurry and get this done so we can get a conventional mortgage. Even so, it's very hard to paint over all that beautiful heartpine. We still plan on refinishing the downstairs trim though.
I've already posted earlier about all the work it took to scrape and sand the walls and ceilings in this room. Once all the loose paint was scraped and sanded off I patched everything with mud:
I then sanded the walls and ceiling again. Once all that was done I primered the walls, ceiling, and trim.
Next it was finally time to paint. I painted the trim first. It's much easier that way.
Then at last I painted the walls, blue first, then the green.
I cant wait until the floors are refinished! At the last minute I decided to refinish the mantle instead of painting it and I'm really glad I did.
It should look great once I finish stripping it. I still havent decided if I'm going to use poly or shellac on it though. I think poly should be fine, there's plenty of color in it already. Also, I didnt paint the doors because I'm going to refinish them too.
My next task will either be the upstairs hall or guest bedroom #2, I havent decided yet.



1 comment:
It looks great! I really like the green and blue too. I think it was smart to keep it.
I have decided all of the woodwork upstairs in my house will also be painted white. The whole process was taking way too long. Downstairs they've removed almost all original trim so I'm installing new red oak which I plan on giving a garnet shellac finish.
Post a Comment