Friday, February 09, 2007

Update on the Anderson House

I've spoken with the bank. The windows are a definite no-go. He did give me the contractors number so I could find out if I can salvage anything not on the list. In my previous post Mark made a comment that the contractor might have made the blanket statement of asbestos so he could salvage what he wanted. I intend to find out if that's the case if I have to follow the demo trucks all the way to the dump.

Hopefully I should still be able to salvage a lot of things like flooring (downstairs is red oak, upstairs is heartpine), siding, stair baulisters, door and window frames and the like. I'll keep the blog updated on the status. I may call the EPA hotline to see if there's anything that can be done to save the windows.

In the meantime I'll leave you with a picture of another house near here that was destroyed a few months back. It was on the National Register of Historic Places for it's architecture. As far as I can tell not one thing was salvaged from it. I'm still way too pissed off about this one to tell the story of it right now, maybe another time.

3 comments:

Ms. P in Jackson said...

And I need a porch!!!!

The windows in the Anderson house are amazing. Why on earth would those be 'off limits'? Unless of course another salvage company has already struck a deal with the demo company.

This reminds me of a house I was looking at in Adrian, Michigan. It was on sale for $37K, it was huge, sat on one acre and had a 3 car carriage house/garage. It was incredible. My sister went over to check it out and reported that it needed lots of work but was beautiful and at 37K you could take the money you save on the price and fix it up. Well three weeks later it was sold and demolished. To this day (3 years later) the lot sits with a for sale sign on it.

Greg said...

Wow! The waste of that is appalling. Porch posts, windows, siding, bricks....and that's just what I can see! What can people be thinking!

Mike said...

IF the EPA was actually serving it's purpose for extistence, they would require any materials that could be recycled be removed from any sturcture before being razed... this would save both our landfills and are historic structures/materials. And for the increased costs of doing this? Well maybe people wouldn't be so quick to just tear everything down without some thought!