Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Tackling the upstairs hall

My next disaster area to tackle is the upstairs hall. It's now the worst area upstairs now that the nursery is completed.

Here's a quick before shot to get everyone reaquainted:


One of the tasks I accomplished last week was to get the hall lights wired. there are two 3-way switches at the bottom of the stairs: one for the downstairs hall light(haven't wired it yet), the other for the chandelier that will hang upstairs:



Two 3-way switches at the top of the stairs: one for the previously mentioned chandelier, the other for the light at the other end of the upstairs hall(the plaster was so bad in this area that it fell apart when I tried to cut the hole).


And last the other 3-way switch next to the master bedroom door for the upstairs hall light.

Here's a closeup of the box at the top of the stairs. I always make sure to label where the wires come from so there aren't any crossed wires.


Here's the original light switch at the bottom of the stairs:


It was connected to a socket that stuck out of the wall near the top of the stairs and to another switch just like it at the top of the stairs. The knob & tube wiring connecting these had been disconnected long ago thankfully. However I do have two more of these switches in the foyer by the front door. One of them controls the porch light and still works! It has a patent date of 1906 on it.

As you may remember a while back I ripped out the horrible dropped ceiling at the end of the hall at the top of the stairs, I then framed it and started drywalling it. I redesigned it so that the ceiling sloped up to meet the original ceiling giving a lot more headroom. This is where I started back in on it. I finish installing the smaller drywall pieces and began the long task of mudding. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of mudding when sand is mixed in, let me tell you it's a pain in the ass!! The larger pieces of sand always end up catching on the trowel and gouging a huge line through an otherwise nice pass. It takes a lot of time to get it right. then of course sanding it is even worse. Just think sandpaper on sandpaper, that's essentially what it becomes when it drys. I go through a lot of sandpaper when sanding.

Anyways... To be able to finish the area above the stairs I had to build a platform to reach the ceiling.


This thing scares me to death. I'm always sure that my next move is going to send me plummeting down the stairs... fun fun.



This is as far as I've gotten. I'm hoping to finish the first skim coat tonight and start in on scraping all the loose paint off the other end of the hallway ceiling and walls.


1 comment:

Mike said...

That trapeze act looks all to familiar... and yes, with no net!