Thursday, February 08, 2007

Back to the fence...

I've had to go back to working on the fence for the past few days because our horse who just so happens to look like a dog has realized that the 4 foot chicken wire and barbwire fence at the back of the property is no obstacle for her.


I only have to build 5 sections to cover it but the new fence is less than a foot from the old one so it's real tight when putting up the dogears.

The large tree behind the fence is a pear tree, at least I think it is. It's mentioned as the property corner in the deed for the lot behind us for the last 100 years. The green leaves all over it is ivy.


I found a lot of pottery and china fragments in this corner when digging for the fence. I'm not sure if they are from the original kitchen from our house or if they are from the old kitchen from the Planters Inn. It seems a bit far back to have been our kitchen. I'm not sure where the kitchen for the old Planters Inn was but it could have been in this area, the old barn was.


I hope to finish this up today and get back to work on the upstairs hall.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Judging by the pottery you have there I'm betting there are more great finds to be had. If you could find someone locally to detect your lot you may be able to solve a little more history about your property.

Can you tell I metal detect for a hobby?

Elizabeth Lee said...

Could have been an outhouse area as well. A lot the time, old china, etc.. was thrown down into the outhouse pit as a means of disposal. Lots of archaeologists have spent their time in the dredgs of old outhouses!