Because of this we've decided to move our attentions upstairs and finish the hell called plaster/drywall/mud work. As you may remember we finished the master bedroom last month but we still have 3 other bedrooms, a long central hall, and 2 bathrooms that have hardly been touched. We need to finish these ASAP so the floor guys can get up here and do their thing.
I've been working in the Nursery for the past 4 days scraping and sanding off tons of old flaking paint from the walls and ceiling. For the past 2 days I've been bent over backwards sanding the stipling off the ceiling. Needless to say I find it hard to walk upright now.
For those of you who may not remember this was the condition of the upstairs bedrooms when we bought the place:

The upstairs was vacant long before the downstairs was. In addition to all the peeling paint, there were whole sections of the ceiling that were falling in. I patched those a few months back.
Here's the room after scraping paint and sanding stipling:
Looks like it snowed in here. I looked like that floor when I was done by the way. One thing you may notice is that the original skim coat of plaster above the picture rail and on the ceiling is green and below the rail it's a pale blue(the cream underneath the gold is paint that's on the blue plaster). I actually like that green color, not sure about the blue though...
After that I started in on skimming the ceiling with mud mixed with sand.
I didnt get much done because my back went out. Hopefully my back will be a little better by this afternoon. That way I can finish the mudding tonight, and sand and primer tomorrow.
I also wanted to post a picture of the doors upstairs:
I dont think I've ever seen 2 panel doors like this before. All of the doors upstairs are like this, they are all rim locks also. Downstairs we have the more common 4 panel doors like these:
Has anyone seen 2 panel doors like these before?



3 comments:
You have my greatest sympathy regarding the construction loan. We have until May 7th to that monkey off our back for once and for all.
Yes, I have seen two panel doors before. I just saw them on some one's blog last week. The only problem is I can't remember where. I'm thinking it might have been This Old Crack House or the Emery Restoration. Sorry that I can't remember for sure.
Hey man. I have one or two of the 2 panel doors in my house, as well. I have a little of everything in here, actually... 2 panel, 4 panel, 5 panel, 3 panel with window, etc.
(By the way, in case you hadn't heard, The Old House Journal is now Old House Gazette. Thank the lawyers for that one.)
Nice progress. Your back problem reminds me of an old saying my dad often used and the older I get the more I understand.
"you know your getting old when your back goes out more then you do".
Probably can be applied to home renovation. You know your a home renovator when your back goes out more then you do.
Post a Comment