Sunday, January 28, 2007

House addition timeline

Since I dont have any pictures of progress to post I figured I'd post this picture that I created one day when I was bored. The different colors show the different additions to the house.


Dark Blue
- Original portion of the house

Red - Kitchen - late 1800's?

Green - Bathroom addition - 1915?

Yellow - Laundry room - 20's or 30's

Light blue - laundry room extension, breakfast room - 1955


The kitchen addition may actually have been the original kitchen that was separate from the house and was just moved up to join it.

The bathroom addition is a full 2 story addition with a shed roof. The 1915 date is from the date on both the tubs that were in the house. Of course that doesn't mean that's when the addition was built, they could have bought both tubs used.

When the laundry room was built the space between it and the kitchen was probably a porch until 1955.

In 1955 the house was converted to apartments. The laundry room addition was so that the apartment on that side could have a back door. The porch in between it and the original kitchen was closed off to create a kitchen for the other apartment. The original kitchen then became a bedroom. I've since converted it back to a kitchen and the old porch will be a breakfast room/informal dining room.

This is definitely the strangest house I've ever seen. At first glance everything seems clear-cut and simple. But once you dig beneath the surface it becomes a crazy maze that I have yet to figure out. I think a large cause of this is the major renovation that the house underwent in the 30's. This "renovation" took away many original features of the house. Most of the door hardware was replaced with plain, art deco hardware (grrrrr!). The study was totally reworked and I have yet to figure out how it was originally. The beautiful heart pine was covered over with red oak in the study, foyer, parlor, and the formal dining room. It appears that the stairs were moved/rebuilt around this time also. I have no idea if they are the original stairs and just moved or if new ones were built. I do know for sure they were moved back by about 8'. I'll probably never figure out every detail of how the house was originally.

Well hopefully I'll have some pictures of progress up soon.

No comments: