Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The upstairs hall

Here is the upstairs hall:




The upstairs has been abandoned a lot longer than the downstairs. There was a calendar upstairs from 2001 but I seriously doubt anyone has lived up there for 15 to 20 years.

There were washer connections at the top of the stairs and a hot water heater in front of the master bathroom. All that is gone now. We've put a set of attic stairs in next to the staircase and ripped out the dropped ceiling at the back of the hall.

The jury's still out on what to do with the plaster ceilings upstairs, almost every one of them are sagging. The slats that the lathe is nailed to are pulling loose from the joists. I want to try to save them but dont know if I'll be able to pull them back up to the joists without destroying the plaster.

If anyone has any ideas on the best way to fix this please let me know. I'm staying away from sheetrock as much as I can. the problem is there are no plaster masons anywhere near here. the closest one I can find is in Savannah. Cost is another issue...

No comments: