Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Building the second floor deck

I didnt get as much done over the weekend as I'd hoped but progress was still made. Saturday morning I got back to work. First I installed flashing in the deck area:
Once that was secure I installed the beaded wood siding to the porch roof. I still need to add some flashing to the top, I'll cover it with trim:

Next I sealed the tin floor with an aluminum and tar mix that I found in the roofing section of Lowes:

And then installed the 1x6 decking:

The next day I got to work on designing a railing. I had a newel post from the stairs of the old Anderson house, plus the cap to a second newel post. I was able to dig up enough wood and matching trim to build a second post just like the first:


The one on the right is the original, the one on the left is the one I built.

I sanded and primered them and installed them on the deck. I also installed the railing. I have about a dozen spindles left over from the railing I built for the first floor but it wont be enough, I'll have to get some more.




No comments: