Thursday, December 27, 2007

Final closing!

This is a little late in coming but on December 14th we finally closed on our permanent mortgage for the house. No more construction loan! It's been a long year and a half.

We're still far from finished on the house but it's nice to be able to work on what I want now instead of what I feel HAS to be done to get the mortgage. Most of the things I have been working on are small jobs but it's the detail work that usually makes the most difference and makes the place look more like a real home and not a construction zone.

I've finished up a few things in the kitchen. First I finally hung the second pendant light and got both of them wired up.

In the above picture you can also see that I finished the doors for the final cabinet. I still need to add the crown for this cabinet and one other and then the crown for the ceiling.

The breakfast nook is slowly progressing, I have everything roughed in now. I also finally put the window trim and shutters back up, I still have to paint them though. the ceiling in the nook still needs to be installed also.

Next I stained the kitchen island and added the little magnetic door poppers to the insides of the doors. I still need to build the shelf inside though.


In the study I finally tackled the door to the closet/passage to the living room. The door was a 5 paneled door that did not match anything else in the house. You can see the door below in this picture from a few months ago.


On the first floor every other door is 4 paneled. A while back I had taken the door between the back hall and breakfast room down, we didnt like how it closed off the space. I measured this door and found that it fit perfectly. You can see the door in the picture below.

I completely stripped all the paint off the door and door frame then hung the door. Next I installed the beadboard on the wall next to the door.

I stained the doorway and beadboard with dark walnut. For the door I only put on 2 coats of amber shellac.

I still need to add the trim around the doorway. I also stained the beadboard on another section of wall.


I only have one more small section of beadboard to install then 3 more sections to stain. I still need to install the picture rail also.

While I was in the Study I decided to open up the fireplace to see what I would find.

The above picture was after cleaning all the sand, leaves and soot out. One thing I found interesting was the bricks that line the fireplace, many are stamped with the word "STEVENS" but the letter N is backwards. I'm pretty sure this is the name of the company that made them but I havent been able to find out anything about them. If anyone knows anything about them I'd love to hear about it. Here is a picture of one of the bricks.

Of the many spare doors I have some are french doors, I found that one of these was an almost perfect match for the doorway between the back hall and breakfast room. We took the 4 panel door down from here because we felt like it closed off the space but a french door wont. It also gives the breakfast room a sunroom kind of feel.

I cut the door down to size, sanded it and test fit it into place. I had to rework the door frame a little for it to fit properly.





As you can see the door is only primed for now. Also the door hardware is only test fitted into place. I still need to restore the lock and rosette. I also need to install a "new" pane of glass in the opening on the bottom.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow, you have been busy! Love those pendant lights. Your home is looking really nice. Happy New Year!

Jen said...

ThirteenEleven has the exact same metal(iron?)fireplace surrounds in our dining room and living room. However, The grate that held the coal, and the cover used in the summer is missing.

Jason and Heather said...

Thanks Sandy.

Jen, Thats very interesting. The brick mantle on the Study fireplace appears to be concrete instead of regular red brick, they are gray. Are yours the same way?

Jen said...

The brick appears to be a light tan color. I have only chipped away a tiny bit of the paint. I found a good pic of the surround and I will make a post.

Sandy said...

Is that a bunny in that chair in front of the bookcases?

Jason and Heather said...

Lol no, that's one of our cats, Bailee.

Lani Aberts said...

1926
STEVENS POTTERY Pop. 200
General Stores: Echols & Watkins
General Store & Livery W.T. "Bob" Weaver
Manufacturer Stevens Bros & Co. Inc. (fire brick & sewer pipe) (also Atlanta)



http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ga/county/baldwin/stevenspottery.html

Hi guys I found your site, oh, sometime in the last 4 years after we bought our old house here. The deed actually says..*OLD HOUSE*. LMAO In trying to remodel it as much back to original as possible I have found architectural stuff that could date it late 1700s to 1840s-though EVERYONE in this little town argues that THIS is NOT the oldest house on the street, the house at the end built in 1890 is. So much has been done to this poor home, and so many tranfers and sales and abandonments, and NONE were done RIGHT, LOL.
I love your blog here and all the pictures, which has given me so much to compare things too, ie.baseboards, doors, flooring, etc.
I found this Steven's website, it is in your state, and started about the years of your home, so maybe that will give you something to research more about those bricks. Maybe the brickmaker or labeler was dislexic, which may help pinpoint a closer age range and a telltale detail of one of the workers and what years they worked at the factory and such.
I wish you most luck and prayers, and please keep up with your blog and pictures!!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.