Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Rebuilding the fence gates.

Almost exactly a year ago I built the double gates to the backyard. We park our cars out back so we have to drive through these gates everyday.


At the time I thought they were wide enough but I quickly learned that they weren't. My truck was especially tight.

Well now I'm buying a dually. I know that it will never fit through the gate. So yesterday I tore down the old gate and the small piece of fencing next to the house. This will give us over 2' of extra clearance.

The framing for the gates is relatively simple. I did however want to beef the gates up a little more this time so I installed 2 cross braces instead of one.



The small piece of 2x4 in the upper corner is for the upper hinge. Here are the new gates installed. The center boards are missing because I still need to tweak that area to get a perfect fit.

These gates are much more sturdy and solid than the last ones. The extra 2'+ should make driving through them much easier now.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Wow! Impressive!