
Once the walls are scraped I need to run some romex for the chandelier and light switch. Then I can begin patching all the cracks.
The wood shed is pretty full now. I need to make a few shelves so I can stack all my wood so I can fit more in there.

Now that all the large pieces are in I need to put the last wall up.I made a very nice discovery while scraping yesterday. I decided to scrape some of the paint off the mantle, I was expecting pine but what I found is so much better.

That's Tiger Oak! The entire mantle is tiger oak veneer. Somewhere along the way some genius decided to put nails in the top part of the veneer on the face. I should be able to repair that though. I just dont understand how someone could have just painted over these mantles.

The mantle is Empire style. The ones in the Parlor and formal dining room are also Empire style but they have the more common curves on the legs of the mantle. I decided to check those to see what was under the paint:
Both are also Tiger Oak! The mantle in the parlor appears to be solid tiger oak, not veneer like the others. They should look great once they are refinished.





3 comments:
What a great discovery - that Tiger Oak looks really beautiful!
It's these finds that keep you going! Very nice
Post a Comment