As is par for the course, the bathroom is not going as quickly as planned. The other day I went to prep the reclaimed 4" T&G for the ceiling only to find that it had a lot of mold on it. I'm having to store it outside since there's no room in the house for it. I had it covered with hplastic but obviously it didn't do much good. I set up some sawhorses and laid the boards out on them to dry for a day. Once they were dry I scraped all the loose paint off of them, sprayed them down with a bleach solution then scrubbed them with a scrub brush. After they dried I painted both sides with Kilz2 primer and let them dry.
Yesterday evening they were finally dry so I started hanging them. It's a really slow process, I have to juggle the board, hammer, hammering block, and the nail gun all at once to get it hung because the scaffolding is too far down to reach down to pick something up while holding the board in place.
R13 is as thick as I could go in the sloped area. R30 will go above the flat part of the ceiling.
This is as far as I got last night. I would have gotten farther but I had to go back and correct a screw-up. I forgot to measure from the beginning of the sloped ceiling to the break where it becomes flat and place the boards so that they matched up exactly with the break. The last board before the break ended up about an inch short. That's a little too thin to try to rip a piece to fit so I ended up lowering the flat joists an inch to meet the boards. It's not noticable and was a much quicker solution than taking all of my work down and starting over.
Once the ceiling is up I'll give it a light sanding, caulk the joints, give it another coat of primer, then paint. After that I can move on to the walls.
During the time that I was waiting for the boards to dry I rewired the sconces I mentioned earlier. Everything electrical had to be replaced on them, they were in sorry shape. I've ordered some pretty cool black and gold candlestick covers for them.

I still have to run the romex for all the sconces, it's not going to be fun for the ones at the top of the stairs. there's no room in the ceiling for me to run it there so I'm going to have to come up from the crawlspace below. We bought a really cool electronic dimmer switch for them, when you turn it on the light gradually brightens. I'm hoping to have them wired up before the weekend.
1 comment:
Post a Comment