Thursday, October 12, 2006

Installing the kitchen walls

I wanted to post about the beadboard walls in the bathroom but I'd rather wait until it's completed. I had hoped to get it finished off last night but I still have a little bit of trim to finish off and then I have to stain it. I havent decided which stain I'm going to use on it yet either. I want it to be really rich looking. I was thinking Red Mahogany. If anyone has any suggestions on what stain to use that would go with the floors in the previous post I'd love to hear from you.


Ok, on to the kitchen walls. Two of the walls were in really bad shape, the plaster was cracked and falling off so I removed all the plaster from them, One wall needs a lot of touching up of the plaster and the last plaster wall is in decent shape.

We decided to use reclaimed T&G 4" pine boards for the walls that the plaster had been removed from. The wood came off the walls of an early 1900's farmhouse that was being demolished.


This is the before shot of one of the walls:


Here is how far I've gotten:


It's coming along nicely. Like the colors? :) The outlet high up on the wall is for the microwave, it will be installed above the stove.

I'm hoping to get back in here and finish the walls sometime next week. I'll be out of town again this weekend so I wont get any work done, then I have to finish off the main bathroom so we can finally get our tub in there. I'm tired of making the trek to my moms house just to take showers...

5 comments:

John said...

The t&g wall board is looking great. We used a lot of salvaged wall board in our house, and I only have one regret: I wish we would have stripped the old paint before we installed it. I'm not sure how you plan to finish these wallboards, but, if you're planning to paint them, you might consider stripping, sanding, or planing them.

John said...

I just went back and caught up on the last few posts, and love your house. I'm fascinated with the layout of the it. Based on a very limited sampling (your house, 1902 Victorian, and The Devil Queen), there seems to be a very particular Southern style all these homes were built in.

Would I be right in thinking that the kitchen and other rooms on the back of the first floor are additions to the original house? Also, is the second story balcony original?

And, since I'm asking questions, is your girl friend pulling carpet tacks in high-heels?!

Jason and Heather said...

Thanks!

I just broke down and bought a really nice 13" rigid planer. I wish I would have gotten it a few days earlier so I could have planed the boards for that walls. I'll probably just sand it really good and paint it.

Yes, the 1-story additions at the rear of the house are all later additions. I believe that the 2-story section at the back of the house is an addition also. I'm not sure yet but they appear to have been sleeping porches originally. The kitchen looks to have been the first addition(late 1800's?), then the 2-story addition (early 1900's), then the laundry room, then the kitchen and laundry room were joined to form the breakfast room in 1955 I believe.

The second stoy balcony is an addition and a pretty crappy one at that. We want to keep it though because it's really nice to sit out there in the late afternoon. I'll probably be tearing it out and totally rebuilding it in a few months.

and yes, my girlfriend is in heels pulling staples. lol. That was right after the closing and she didnt have any tennis shoes to put on to work in.

John said...

That is interesting about the floor plan; minus the second story, your house's original floor plan is nearly identical to the Devil Queen's orignial floor plan.

Not that it's any of my business, but, if I were going rebuild the second story porch anyhow, I'd extend it so it ran the whole lenght of house's front (matching the first floor porch). Sure, I have issues with semetry, but, even so, how could you every have too much porch?

Jason and Heather said...

John,

I've been debating extending the porch to cover the entire front of the house. I'm pretty much set on it. I think if I make the columns in the same style but a bit smaller than the ones on the first floor, it should blend in nicely with the style of the house.

Larry,

Thank you! As soon as I have some free time I'll add both of your sites to the links section. You both have really great, informative sites. I have a lot of updates I need to post, hopefully I'll be able to get to that today.

I understand totally about the geek thing, with regards to the house itself I want it to look period, but I have to have all my geek toys. It will be a totally wired (and wireless) house. :)