Monday, April 28, 2008

Progress!! Painting the house

After a long break we have finally resumed work on the house. We are making our final push towards completing it once and for all.

Saturday morning I rented a 4000psi pressure washer and pressure washed the entire house. Surprisingly it only took about 4 hours. The house was really dirty and there was a lot of peeling paint.

After pressure washing we went and bought the paint, we had the colors we wanted picked out for about 2 weeks now. The colors we chose were Homestead Resort Pale Olive for the main color and Churchill white something or other for the trim. It has a slight yellow tint to it. Both are from the Historic Preservation collection from Valspar.

Here is a before picture of the house:

Here are a few shots after pressure washing:


On Saturday afternoon we were able to paint the front first floor of the house. I decided not to use the paint gun for the front of the house simply because of overspray and having to put drop cloths down. Instead I'm using a 4" brush.

This is a good before and after shot:


Sunday we painted the front second floor in between the storms and the race but we were able to finish the entire front of the house. The area above the porch was a bit difficult to get at first because the porch roof is a hip roof so I couldnt put a ladder on it.

I solved the problem by duct tapping a 4" brush at a 45 degree angle to the end of an extension pole. It really worked great, I was able to paint the area almost as fast as if I were painting with the brush alone. I've begun painting all the higher up places with this instead of having to constantly move a ladder.


Here is the front of the house all painted:


I will be removing the second floor porch roof sometime this week and then I'll finish painting the fascia and soffit in that area.

We're not quite sure what to do with the first floor porch paint-wise. I hate that the brick is painted, because of that I'll probably paint it with a brick red color. I saw a color at Lowes a while back that is very close to brick color. The railings are painted a very light cream color right now. We're not sure if we should paint the porch columns and fascia that color or with our trim color that is on the rest of the house. Suggestions...?

I'm going to have to rent scaffolding for the sides of the house. I have an extension ladder but I get really nervous on the thing that high up.

Oh, and for those of you who may not have noticed the new link in the sidebar we just bought a 1969 Airstream Sovereign 31'. I'll be restoring it soon. Here is a link to the blog I'll be keeping of the restoration: http://69airstream.blogspot.com/


5 comments:

Sandy said...

Welcome back! The color is gorgeous! Great idea on duct taping a brush to the pole! Nice score on the airstream. It looks to be in pretty good shape.

maggie said...

hi...I am a grad student in a preservation program...I was wondering I could use your pics from april 21, 2007 to illustrate a paper I have to write????? I am writing about special problems relating to returning a historic home back to a single-family house after it has been converted to apartments. Your pics showing the return of a window from a door is a great example, and I would love to use it. I would be eternally grateful....really...it;s the only example I can find. Let me know.

Katie said...

Our house is a very similar green. My grandparents had it done back in the 90s and it needs to be done again. In addition to the olive green, they used a darker green as an accent. The porch railing is this color and it looks great. Not sure how it would work with the red brick color. Good work!

Jason and Heather said...

Maggie,

I dont see a problem with using the pictures. If you want larger sized ones let me know how to contact you and I'll e-mail them to you.

us said...

I have a question - was the pressure washing enough or did you also scrape before painting? I'm wondering how the surface looks. Can you tell that there was peeing paint underneath (i.e. the surface is uneven)? This process seems so daunting and I just want to get my head around all the necessary steps.
Thanks!
Hallie.