Monday, June 25, 2007

Deck update #2

I got the deck boards down the day after my last post but because it rained almost the entire time I dont have any shots of the progress. Here is the deck after the boards were laid:




After trimming the edges of the deck I started on the stairs. I wanted to do something to the deck to separate it from other plain decks, so I decided to make the stairs L shaped. This ended up being a lot more complex than I had first imagined but the end result was well worth it.

First I had to calculate the run and the rise of the stringers. the run is the depth of each step and the rise is the height between steps. Once I had that I had to recalculate for the corner stringer, because this one is at a 45 degree angle the runs are longer.




With the stringers in place I began installing the treads. Because the run is 10" the boards would hang over the edge too much so I had to rip the back board on each step. Here are the stairs completed.

I'm not sure if I want to install riser boards or not. I think it looks pretty cool with the stringers exposed.

The next step was to install the posts, handrails and baulisters. This job went so quick that I didnt get any progress pictures. The reason it went so quick was that to install the baulisters I built a tool to speed the process. The tool basically looks like a capitol "I" and is made from the baulisters. I cut the cross pieces to the length of the gap between the baulisters. In this case 4 3/4". All I had to do was measure and level the first board then set the tool between it and the next baulister. It gives you a perfect measurement and level every time. I installed all the baulisters in less than 1/2 an hour.


Now that the deck was done it looked very empty so we had to go get a patio set for it. The one we chose is from the Better Homes and Gardens collection. We got it for about 1/2 it's original price. It's constructed of all wrought and cast aluminum.



At the last minute I decided to change the design a little and add tall posts with lanterns at the top of the stairs. The lanterns are the french wrought iron style.



Installing these was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I had to remove the base from them as it was too wide. I then had to modify the hollow threaded nipple that the base used to attach to by threading the inside of it with a 3/8's tap. I was then able to attach it to the post with a 3/8's lag bolt. I routed a groove on the backside of the post for the wiring and had the intention of covering the back of the post with 1x4 stock to cover the wiring but I've come up with a different idea. It will require that I buy 2 more posts to replace these. I'll rip the posts lengthwise about 3/4" in, route a groove on the inside for the wiring then nail the post back together. this should look much nicer when it's done.

Here's one last shot of the deck taken last evening. I'm hoping to stain and seal it before the 4th.

No comments: