Monday, June 18, 2007

Deck update

Work on the deck has progressed steadily. I was hoping to be further along by now but I should have it done in the next day or two. I don't think I realized exactly how hard it is to build a large deck by yourself in 95 degree weather.

After getting the ledger boards up I dug the holes for the concrete foundations that will support the post and beam for the laundry room side of the deck.

these were filled with concrete and the post blocks set on top. I made sure to wet the top of the concrete as well as the bottom of the post block to promote adhesion.


Next was figuring out the correct lengths of the posts. To do this I took a straight 2x4x16 and clamped my 4' level to it and put it in one of the joist holders on the ledger board. I put a 4x4 post into the post block, leveled both the post and the 2x4 and made a mark on the post where they intersected. Then I subtracted 9 3/8" from that mark to allow for the height of the beam. I repeated this for each post. I then attached the beam (two 2x10x12's) to the posts with post to beam brackets.


With that done I moved on to the Breakfast room side of the porch.


With both beams up I began installing the joists. Each joist is secured with the joist hangers on one end and to the beam with joist to beam hurricane straps.



Next I installed bracing between each joist to prevent flexing.


Then I began laying the decking. It got dark on me so I didn't get too far.


I'm hoping to finish the decking this afternoon and the railings and stairs tomorrow.

Oh by the way, this is what happens when you get careless around sharp metal joist hangers...

1 comment:

kelly said...

Thank you for posting the step by step construction of your deck. We are getting ready to do the same thing, but have No experience so are finding your explanations very helpful. Kelly