Sunday, March 25, 2007

Kitchen cabinets and butcherblock counters

I worked on the cabinet doors and counter tops yesterday. Yes I actually went to Ikea to get the counter tops. I really hate that place but the oak butcher block counters are awesome.

First I cut it to size, then I rounded the edges with my sander, then gave the entire surface a light sanding with 220 grit.



The first picture is after the sanding, the second is with one coat of oil that Ikea recommends. It's basically a blend of tung oil and linseed oil. I used two coats on the counter tops but I may add a few more.


In the above picture you can see what they look like after two coats. you can also see the cabinet doors that I finally finished building. The doors are built out of select pine slats of varying width. The drawer faces will be built the same way. We're still trying to decide if we should paint them white like the cabinets or rub them down with the tung/linseed oil to match the counter tops(or perhaps shellac them). The white of the cabinets in the pictures is primer. The final color will be an off-white, the same ones we used for the trim upstairs. Feel free to comment on which way you think would look better.

2 comments:

Mark said...

I'd say to oil them. If you spent the money on select pine then you might want to enjoy it. Also if you oil them and decide that it is not what you want could you not paint them at a later time?

Things are looking really good. Am I wrong or are your trees already budding? We are a month or so away from that here. Granted this past Friday was pretty nice so I got outside with the table saw and started some baseboard work. As my fiance put it "everyone in the neighborhood will know it is spring now with you making all this racket."

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.