Saturday, February 24, 2007

Moving on to the master bathroom

I've decided to start on the master bathroom. As I mentioned in the comments section of my last post, the antique toilet in the main bathroom is having some problems. The wooden tank has split in the front, pulling some nails out. This has caused it to start leaking. I'm going to have to tear the tank apart and rebuild it, this will take some time so we're going to need another bathroom. The bathrooms are also the worst part of the upstairs left to do.


Last night I started rebuilding the ceiling. As mentioned before I wanted to raise it up a foot. The addition that holds the bathrooms has a shed roof. This doesnt leave much room for the upstairs ceilings. They were pretty low and I didnt care for them at all.

Here's a shot of the original framing for the ceiling:

Here's a shot after I removed it:

Here is the new framing:

For some reason in the picture the boards dont look straight but they are. As you can see the majority of the ceiling will be flat with a part of the left side sloping down. this gave us an extra foot of headroom and really does a lot for the room. It makes it look like a much larger room. I'm going to have to use foam sheet insulation for the sloped part of the ceiling since standard insulation wont fit. R30 will go above the flat part.

Today I'll install the electrical (light switch and fixture, GFCI outlet on the left wall, and a double gang box with 2 GFCI's to the right of where the vanity will go), and start on repairing the walls. If I have time (yeah right!) I'll start installing the wood ceiling.

No comments: