Saturday, November 25, 2006

We have a kitchen!!!... sort of

The floor was finally dry enough to walk on Thanksgiving morning. We still had to paint the second coat on the walls, primer the trim, move in and hook up the stove & refrigerator, and set up for the dinner scheduled for 4pm. We made it... barely. Here's a few pics of what it looks like now:







It still has a long way to go but at least it's usable for now. Next on the list is the cabinets, we've already sanded and primered two of them, We still have to build the sink cabinet, redesign two of the upper cabinets and build all of the doors for them before we can install them. hopefully then it will start looking like a kitchen.

We also had to get the main bathroom walls finished before Thanksgiving dinner:


I think it turned out great. We still need to finish stripping the remaining painted trim and stain it all, strip and refinish the vanity, install the sink, faucet, and mirror in the vanity, and install the toilet once it arrives.

I found a really cool old Victorian toilet on E-bay, it should be getting here sometime next week.



Oh, and one other thing. These pictures demonstrate the extreme importance of checking all your wiring and outlets:




This outlet failed and damn near burned the house down. Weird thing is, there was nothing plugged into it. Last week I started noticing a smell in The dining room, it smelled like an old campfire. I couldn't trace it so I just assumed that it was coming from the fireplace (even though it's closed off and hasn't been used in ages). I went out of town for two days and when I got back I noticed that some of the outlets in the kitchen weren't working, I checked the breaker but it wasn't tripped. I finally traced it back to this outlet. How it didn't burn the house down I don't know... I'm just thanking God it didn't.

3 comments:

Ms. P in Jackson said...

You are very lucky your house didn't catch fire. That would scare the bejeepers out of me too.

The toilet is really pretty and it reminded me of a recent post from the Petch House at this link: http://petchhouse.blogspot.com/search/label/Dream

It's really coming together, you should be proud of yourself!

Greg said...

Great toilet. Is that the one that sold for the Buy It Now price of $195. Those people were fools for selling it so cheap. Other toilets like that were going for more than $1,000. Congratulations! I couldn’t see the crack in the photos. It’s probably just superficial, but you’ll want to keep on eye on it. The tank is nice as well, but it is not a high tank. That looks like a low tank that would have been mounted on the wall maybe 6 or 8 inches above the bowl. If the bowl has a 2-inch spud on the back it is for a low tank, if it has an inch and a half spud it is for a high tank. If it’s 2-inch you can use either one. If it is inch and a half it is high tank only. Very, very nice.

Jason and Heather said...

Hey Patricia, Thanks for the compliment. Greg's posts on antique toilets are what got me looking for one. Up until then I was just going to go with a reproduction.

Greg, yep, that's the one! I saw the other ones went for 1200 and 1300 so I grabbed this one as soon as I saw it. I'm going to use it as a low tank for now but I'll have my eye out for a good high tank. Thanks!