Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Bathroom beadboard walls update.

Quick update on the beadboard walls as I dont have much time to post. I'll post a lot more on this later.

I finished up the trim on the beadboard, then sanded and stained everything. I'm still not sure if I should stain it a second time or not. I'll be putting at leat 2 coats of satin poly on it. It didnt come out exactly right in the pictures, it looks like it has a purple tint to it in the pics but it doesnt.

Here I am in the process of rubbing the stain on:


This pic gives you a good idea of how much darker it is with the stain:


Here are a few after pictures:




Maybe once I apply the poly it will look better in the pictures than it does now.

4 comments:

Ms. P in Jackson said...

It looks great! I love lots of pictures to see how everyone's hard work is paying off. What color stain did you use? I like the color.

Gary said...

Before you decide on poly, try amber shellac on a scrap piece and decide what you like best. There is a big difference in how it will look!

Jason and Heather said...

Thanks Patricia! The stain is Minwax Red Mahogany the beadboard is plain new white pine and the border is old heartpine.

Gary,

where can I get amber shellac? Does Home Depot or Lowes carry it? Shellac will give it a warmer look correct? If so I'll probably want to go with that.

Thanks!
Jason

Gary said...

Lowes and Home Depot sell shellac in the wood stain section. Buy a gallon of denatured alcohol too for thinning, cleaning brushes and inhaling! Experiment with it and see what you can do.