Monday, December 03, 2007

A few odd jobs

We've managed to get a few things done over the weekend. I started stripping the paint off the Dining room mantle. Here is what it looked like when I started:

And here it is after over 2 hours with a heat gun and a scraper:


Once I'm finished scraping I'll remove all the old shellac the put 2 coats of amber shellac on it then a coat of poly to seal it.

We also started on the stairs. They were too dark completely stained so we decided to paint the risers and baulisters white. First I sanded the risers to give the paint a good surface to adhere to, then I painted the risers.

Here it is with half the risers done, you can really see what a difference it makes:

And here it is with the risers finished:

Next we'll paint the baulisters.

We also went outside and started decorating the house:


You can see the Christmas tree in our Parlor window. I was going to post pics of it but I forgot to upload them to my server so it will have to wait for the next post.

There are a few other things I have in the works for the house, one is what to do with the floors that need refinishing. Another will drastically change the exterior appearance of the house if I decide to do it. I'll be posting more about these things later.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That fireplace is going to look awesome! Can't wait to see it after the finish is on!

Sandy said...

The fireplace is going to look great! Loved what you did with the stairs. The picture of the outside of your home is just beautiful.