Thursday, July 12, 2007

Dr. Darnall

I'm still doing research on the history of the house as time permits. Dr. Thomas M. Darnall was the first owner of the property, having moved his family here from Atlanta in 1852. As I've found out he was very respected throughout the community. Here are a few articles about his death on 8Jan1885 in the Griffin Daily News:

This first one was published just before he died.

In this one you can see that the Mayor shut the city down during his funeral and also that he was a Mason.


This article was written 2 days after his death. It gives a lot of information about his history and about how well he was respected.

This last article was written in the Macon Telegraph. Macon is about an hour south of Griffin.

I would really love to find a picture of him and his family and especially of the house. I'm still trying to track down his relatives. His family moved back to Atlanta in 1899 and that's where their trail ends.

No comments: