Thursday, November 09, 2006

Kitchen walls are done!

I've finally finished putting up the kitchen walls. I've begun sanding them with the help of my brother. He's agreed to come up and help me for a month or so. The help is greatly needed. I've managed to fall pretty far behind doing everything myself. Hopefully now we'll get some real progress. I'd like to have a working kitchen by Thanksgiving, I know that's asking a lot but hey, I can dream...

Here's a shot of the breakfast nook with the table and chandelier that will be in it.


The table is a mahogany butterfly table that's absolutely awesome. I still need to refinish it of course. It's really a shame to use it there where it wont get to be opened but it fits in there perfectly. Once I find another table I'll swap them out. the chandelier is a really cool old tiffany style one made from leaded stained glass.

Here's a shot of the old church pew that will become the benches for the nook:


The man that I bought this from had a second one, he refinished it so I've seen what it will look like when done. It's the most beautiful heart-pine I've ever seen.

Once we've sanded and primered the walls we're going to get the floor guys back in to refinish this floor. I'm really excited about that, a while back the floor guys did a quick sand and poly of a small spot to see what it would look like:



They said it will come out a little lighter than this because this was just a quick sand. The floor is in pretty rough shape in some spots but I think it's going to turn out great. The rough spots should give it more of a rustic look.

I hung an old chandelier in the main bathroom, it has an antique copper finish so it goes with everything else:


It's a really weird chandelier, it's got a bunch of keys, chains, and little shields that have the word "hero" on it, but we both think it looks cool. I may take the shields and keys off of it though. I really like the light it gives off, it makes the room look much warmer than the wall sconce does.

Well that's about it for now, hopefully I'll have a lot of progress updates now that I have some help!

1 comment:

Chris said...

That breakfast nook looks great. Nice work.