Monday, October 23, 2006

Weekend salvage trip

Well our trip to the farmhouse for wood was pretty productive. We ended up getting a ton of T&G wood, some more doors, and 11 sets of nice old windows that we plan on using for our sunroom addition.

Here's a shot of the farmhouse:


Here's some of the wood we brought back:



We spent roughly 9 hours there yesterday, plus a 2 hour drive each way. It was a looooong day. It was well worth it though. Now I definitely have enough wood to finish the walls in the kitchen.

Here is a shot of just about the only productive work I accomplished today (I was still tired... plus the race was on):


As you can see I'm planing the boards first now. That should save some time later during sanding.

I also finally got around to pulling the last old closet out of the living room. This closet appears to be older than the other one that was in this room. It looks like it was installed in the 50's during the apartment conversion. I had a nice surprise whan I took it down:




Original paint and stain!! This has been hidden in the dark since the 50's. The stain is a deep red, it almost looks like paint until you look close. I'd really like to know what stain it is, I like the look and would love to duplicate it. Here's a closer shot:


I find it really odd that the fireplace mantle juts out beyond the end of the wall like this:


The only other house I have seen where the mantle does this is in the Holliday-Dorsey-Fife house, you can see a very similar setup of it in this picture. That house belonged to Doc Holliday's uncle and was built in 1855. It's about 40 minutes from my house.

Well I guess that's all for tonight, hopefully there will be some good progress tomorrow.

Jason

No comments: