Since it's been so nice out we decided to go ahead and put the brick patio in. The patio is in the rear of the backyard, where the gardens will be. This area was a jungle of bamboo when we bought the place but there is a lot of evidence that this was once a beautiful garden.
First I had to rake an area clear, once that was done I laid out the area for the patio. I used a drywall square and a long board to make sure the patio would be square then I spray painted the edges.

Then began the fun job of digging it out. The ground is not level, it slopes down toward the back of the property, so I had to dig deeper at the front end of the patio. I made sure it was level from left to right, and that it had a gradual slope from front to back for proper drainage.
One of the hardest parts about digging was the roots, Bamboo runs like crazy so there were roots everywhere.

Once the pad was level I began laying the brick. These are the bricks from the
Anderson House. They are beautiful bricks but there are 3 different sizes so it makes it a pain to lay them properly. We decided on a basket weave pattern with a border.

It got dark on us so we had to stop here for the night. The next morning we got back to work.




I filled the edges back in with dirt so the pad is level with the ground. We're thinking about building a trellis over it with either wisteria or grapevine. I may also build a small fireplace in a corner of the patio.
Today I'll be getting sand to fill the cracks in with. then it's back inside to mud that damn wall I've been avoiding.
No comments:
Post a Comment