At first I thought it was the same as the bricks used in the study mantle but this isn't as wide as those. I first noticed the bricks in the study mantle were white a few weeks ago. Some of the paint has flaked off exposing the bare brick. I've never seen white bricks before. Does anyone know more about this? I did a little research online, one site says white bricks were popular from about 1800 to about 1870 but the site is in England so I'm not sure how relevant that is to Georgia.
Speaking of bricks, these are in our backyard. (sorry for the bad angle, this is the only shot I have of it)

They weren't visible for the first few months we lived here because the grass covered them but with all the driving over them it's exposed them. At first I thought it was a foundation for something like an outhouse or smokehouse. It doesn't really look like a foundation though, it's just 2 uneven rows of bricks, not a square. I think it's also only 1 or 2 layers deep.
What it's starting to look like to us is graves. I've heard of graves marked with bricks before.
The one on the left is about 8' long, the one on the right is almost 7'. There's also another one thats much smaller in another part of the yard, it's about 5'. Has anyone seen anything like this before?
If it does turn out to be graves I'm not really sure what to do about it. It's right in the middle of our driveway. I don't exactly feel like driving over someones grave everyday. Moving them to another part of the yard is an option. I've been thinking of looking up companies that have ground penetrating radar but I'd hate to spend the money on something like that until I'm fairly sure they are graves.



5 comments:
If they are graves and you have them moved you will probably be required to bury them in a cemetary. I don't think they will let you keep them there if they are dug up. I hope they aren't graves, I wouldn't want to drive over them either.
It may be the old driveway. I've seen old homes where they "paved" the drive with two parallel rows of bricks. The bricks rows were just wide enough to support the wheels. I guess this was to keep the car (or carriage?) from sinking into the clay or mud.
Hopefully they are not graves; that is some seriously bad mojo.
I've seen drives like that too. I really hope its a drive, and not graves. Aren't family cemetaries usually in the corner of the yard, or at least farther away from the house?
I get creeped out by the smallest things, I don't know what I'd do if I found graves in my yard...
We thought that it could be an old driveway as well but there's a few things wrong with that. One is that it doesnt go anywhere. The long one kind of appears to trail off but the shorter one has a definitive end. Also what about the other one in another part of the yard? It's no where near where the driveway is.
I'd really hate to take them up when we start landscaping in the spring and they turn out to really be graves.
Post a Comment