Thursday, January 04, 2007

The kitchen island

I had wanted to wait until I finished the island before posting pictures but I'm sure everyone knows how that goes...

Last week I began building the kitchen island. We had gotten some really cool old beadboard from an old textile mill in Atlanta that was being gutted. It appears they were being used as tables. We got 3 sections each about 12' long. I'm going to use the leftovers for my study.

Here's a few shots of how it looks right now:




I had to cut one of the large sections down, I mitered all the corners except for the back side. The back side is actually 2 large doors that are almost completely hidden when closed. I still need to add the spring loaded magnets to hold the doors closed. I'm using the spring loaded ones since I wont be putting any handles on the doors, you just push the door to open it.


I made the floor of the island out of my 5 1/2" T&G southern yellow pine flooring. It will be stained to match. I still have to build a shelf also. I have a large marble slab that came from the same textile mill the beadboard came from. I need to take it to get cut to size and polished. I made the island so that the marble would overhang 1/2" on all sides except for the side facing out (opposite side of the doors). It will hang over 7" on that side and will serve as a small bar. I have 2 ornate victorian wrought iron brackets that I will mount under the marble for support.

The other thing I worked on was rebuilding the fence out back.



I'm having to step it down every so often because the ground slopes down towards the back of the property. I like the stepped look in fences though. I'm hoping to get back to work on it in the next day or so.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that island! Such a neat idea! I can't wait to see what it looks like finished :)

Greg said...

Love the island and the use of salvage! My only suggestion, if it's not too late, is to add a toe kick. If you can raise it a few inches and put it on an inset platform, or have the slab over-hang more, it'll make a big difference when using it.

Marilyn said...

Beautiful fence!

Jason and Heather said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Greg,

I was originally going to go with a toe-kick but the beadboard was already 3' high. I dont think it will be a big problem.

Ms. P in Jackson said...

How did I miss this post? I usually watch 1870 house for updates!

The island is fantastic. I'm glad you decided to post before it was complete. :)